I'm Alexander Skiba and it's nice to have you.
I'm a system administrator based in Graz, Austria at the Institute of Computer Graphics and Computer Vision at TU Graz. On paper I'm also studying Computer Science at said university but I have been going to fewer and fewer courses due to me losing interest over the time. Today I focus mostly on my work at the ICG which sees me managing our linux servers and developing our assignment system.
I usually write about work as a system administrator and video games. I also like to post reading recommendations and hold regular Cooking with Friends events. It's quite possible you'll find articles not belonging into these categories - after all this is my personal blog. I'm also writing a novel, though progress on that has been at a glacial pace.
Should you want to contact me send an e-mail to email@example.com or use one of the links in the sidebar.
- I've written about my sysadmin work in its own blog category and also got creative with the way this blog is published.
- Furthermore I've written a comprehensive blog post about different technologies I've got to experience during this period of my work life.
- application setup (Apache, Postfix, Mailman, all with TLS)
- detailed technical explanations (symmetric/asymmetric cryptography, Puppet, Sensu, SVN/Git, GitLab)
2012 - Parsing, evaluating and analyzing logfiles, graphing and exporting the results for the tagstore project at the Institute of Software Technology (TU Graz). Implementation in Python, available on github. - (freelance project)
2011 - Improvement of internal GUI for geo-information database, rewrite in order to have dynamically built sites for Kärnten Netz. Implementation in PHP, code closed source. - (38 hrs/week)
2009 - Data entry in geo-information database for Kärnten Netz (formerly KELAG Netz). - (38 hrs/week)
Conferences and Workshops
2016 - Conference visits & workshop
- joined BSides Ljubljana 2016 in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- participated in a Kibana 4 workshop in Cologne, Germany
- joined Grazer Linuxtage 2016 in Graz, Austria
2014 - Participated in the Summer School: IPICS2014 - Intensive Programme on Information & Communication Security in Lesvos, Mitilini, Greece
2013 - Helped with the Introduction to Linux workshop of Grazer Linuxtage 2013 in Graz, Austria
2012 - Game Jam & Linuxtage
- Participated in the Game Jam Graz, in Graz, Austria
- Held the Introduction to Linux workshop together with Manfred Wallner at Grazer Linuxtage 2012 in Graz, Austria
2011 - Helped with the Introduction to Linux workshop of Grazer Linuxtage 2011 in Graz, Austria